Anthony (“Tony”) T. Smith has been representing property owners for most of his career. Tony’s practice focuses on the diverse legal needs of common interest communities. He regularly advises condominium and townhome associations on all aspects of operation, management, governance, and litigation, including:
- Governing document preparation, amendment, and interpretation;
- Rule enforcement;
- Compliance with applicable state and federal laws (MCIOA, Minnesota Nonprofit Corporations Act, Fair Housing Act, Minnesota Human Rights Act, etc.);
- Homeowner dispute resolution;
- Contract review and negotiation;
- Insurance claim disputes and litigation; and
- Contractor disputes and construction defect litigation.
A skilled communicator, problem solver, negotiator, and trial lawyer, Tony has represented clients in cases in state and federal courts in Colorado and Minnesota.
Tony is a frequent lecturer on issues pertaining to common interest communities and insurance disputes. He regularly presents educational seminars for CAI’s Colorado and Minnesota chapters and other professional organizations. Additionally, Tony is the 2022 President of CAI’s Minnesota chapter.
Tony also volunteers his time and experience as legal counsel for Rein In Sarcoma, a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating the public and medical community about sarcomas, supporting sarcoma patients and their loved ones, and funding research directed toward developing new treatments and finding a cure for sarcoma cancers.